Wednesday, April 22, 2009

4 Surprising Reasons I Won't Be Celebrating Earth Day - Part 1

Note: This post is in four parts. Be sure to click the links at the bottom to read the entire post.

The typical conservative response to Earth Day is to berate it using terms straight from from the Limbaugh show like "Environmentalist Wacko" and "tree-hugger."

Or maybe you expect something like "I'm gonna keep every light in the house on all day just to off-set the Earth Day celebrations."

But, I tend to be a little more moderate in this area than some of my political brethren; I actually believe taking care of the environment is not that bad of an idea.

Nevertheless there are 4 reasons I will not be celebrating Earth Day again this year.

4. I Do Not Want Guilt By Association
I don't celebrate earth day the same reason I don't claim to be libertarian; I don't want to be associated with all the crazies.

There are some fine environmentalists out there who are lovely people. There are some wonderful libertarians out there who are perfectly rational individuals. If you're reading this blog and define yourself as libertarian, don't worry; you are within the rational group. Please don't stop reading.

The problem is that for every normal environmentalist out there the media will find 10 want-to-burn-Hummers-with-coal-miners-and-fur-wearers-trapped-inside fringe environmentalists and put them on television.


Crazy.

Every movement has it's more extreme elements, but the fringe wing of environmentalism appears to lead the normal environmentalists by the nose much of the time.

Also, I don't smoke pot, so I wouldn't fit in at the protests.

No comments:

Post a Comment