Saturday, April 4, 2009

Obama and North Korea = Dwight Schrute and Jim Halpert?

Reuters reports that Japan claims North Korea launched the rocket they had planned to launch. It's still uncertain where the rocket will actually end up, but the international community is watching very closely.

From Reuters,
U.S. President Barack Obama said on Friday the international community would take action if North Korea went ahead with the launch to show Pyongyang it could not act with impunity.


What do you think President Obama means when he says "the international community [will] take action?"

I'm afraid Obama will treat North Korea like Dwight treated Jim when Jim arrived late to the office. I've modified the transcript to understand it in light of this current incident.

North Korea: [picking up a ticket on his desk] What's this?
Obama: That is a demerit.
NK: "North Korea, rocket launch." Oh, I love it already.
O: You've got to learn, North Korea, you're almost a nuclear power, but that does not put you above the law
NK: Oh I understand. And I also have lots of questions. Like what does a demerit mean?
O: Let's put it this way. You do not want to receive three of those.
NK: Lay it on me.
O: Three demerits, and you'll receive a sanction.
NK: Now that sounds serious.
O: Oh it is serious. Five sanctions, and you're looking at a resolution. Four of those, and you'll receive a verbal warning. Keep it up, and you're looking at a written warning. Two of those, that'll land you in a world of hurt in the form of a disciplinary review, written up by me and placed on the desk of my immediate superior, the International Community.
NK: Which would include me.
O: That...is correct.
NK: Okay, I want a copy on my desk by the end of the day or you will receive a full disadulation.
O: What's a dis...what's that?
NK: Oh, you don’t want to know.
[Obama is scared]

What do you think? Am I pretty close?

No comments:

Post a Comment