Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Independence Day!

The thought of the freedom that we have in this country often gives me that feeling like I have something in my throat and my eyes begin to tear up.

I'm so proud to be an American.

I'm so proud of the little things: baseball on a cool spring night and jazz on a warm humid evening..

I'm so proud of the big things: a shuttle blasting into space, and an economy that outshines the world even when it stumbles...

I'm so proud when I recall the visionaries who declared for all of us that "We hold these truths to be self-evident..."

I'm so proud of those who have shed their blood to bring freedom to me and to countless others around the world...

I'm so proud of the diversity of people who have come to her shores from all around the world for the freedom America offers...

I'm so proud of meeting with others, speaking what we wish, worshiping who and how we desire all without the threat of a government shutting it down...

Mostly though, I filled with a mixture of feelings...
This weekend families will gather, grills will scorch hot dogs and hamburgers.
They will watch the small remembrances of the rockets' red glare
And though our banner of freedom still flies proudly,
Many in the world have never heard freedom's ring
North Koreans have never heard it
Iranians are dying in the streets for a chance to hear it.
These inalienable rights provided to people by God himself have never been realized in those places.

This July 4th, be proud!
But remember the cost of your freedom
And remember those who have never heard it's beautiful chime.


I heard this song for the first time at Texas Rangers game last night and I thought it was fitting for the July 4th celebrations taking place all around the country.



Happy Independence Day, America!

No comments:

Post a Comment